- Paprika is so much more than a coloring agent!
- It is made by grinding the pods of the pepper plant capsicum annuum
- In Hungary there are 6 classes of Paprika
- We carry 3 varieties of Hungarian Paprika, sweet, hot and smoked.
- The most common pepper to make Paprika is the sweet red pepper
- Paprika is a National spice in Hungary with a 200 year history
- The villages become a vibrant red color at harvesting time when the peppers are hung with string outside and along fences
- Paprika is perishable and is best stored in a cool dark place.
- Traditional Hungarian dishes that use Paprika are Goulash and Papikash
- It is also added to Spanish Chorizo and Turkish and Portuguese soups and stews
But why not get creative !
- add it to potatoes or fries
- add to chicken or fish
- use in black beans or stews
- @Hanneke on twitter states that she adds to chicken, potatoes in dressings and the smoked paprika gives a wonderful smoky taste and aroma.
So what are you going to add your paprika to?
27th Oct 2018