- The dried seed of the cuminim cymimuni plant makes cumin seed.
- cumin makes up a large proportion of curry powder and chili powder.
- In the Middle ages it was believed that cumin kept chickens and lovers from running away!
- It was also said that if cumin was carried during a wedding happiness would follow.
- Cumin was used to pay taxes.
- Cumin is the second most popular spice in the world after black pepper.
Recipe ideas for cumin:
- add to meatloaf to give it a Columbian inspired taste
- add to black beans to make them Cuban style
- add to lentils to make Indian dal
- add a pinch the next time you make guacamole
- cumin is the key ingredient in chili con carne and Tex Mex recipes
- cumin also makes a great rub for lamb or pork
- it makes a great addition to omelets
- cumin is also great to jazz up rice or couscous
- also in roast potatoes
So the next time you buy cumin, what are you going to make?
26th May 2020